U.S. History 1877-Present
Discussion Topic #1-A Two Part Discussion
Assignment Objective: In Part I, We will look at Primary Documents of that time period, to better understand issues and topics from their immediate perspective. In Part Two, we will include our own viewpoints, opinions and experiences on related topics of social and cultural change.
To find your HST 108 Historical Documents, go to the “Resources & Docs” page. Once you click on that link, it will open in Adobe Reader. Once there, go to the Table of Contents and find the articles (the numbers 21-7 refer to Unit 21, Article 7). Click on the title of the article, and it will take you right there!
Part 18, Article 9: Booker T. Washington’s Atlanta Exposition Address
1. What is the tone of Washington’s speech?
2. What line of work does Washington believe African-Americans should strive for?
3. What is Washington “willing” to accept in exchange for job opportunities?
4. How might this philosophy both benefit and impair African-Americans in the years to come?
Part 17, Article 11: W.E.B DuBois-“Of Mr. Booker T. Washington & Others”
Part 24, Article 4: Platform Adopted by the National Negro Committee
1. How do these articles depict B.T. Washington & their opinions about the future for African-Americans?
2. What is the tone of these articles in comparison to Washington’s speech?
3. What are the rights, etc. that Africans-Americans should have, according to these two articles?
Then, based on your readings, experiences & opinions, here are some issues here that need to be addressed on the issue of social/cultural change:
How hard does one push for social change?
What style would be successful in the long run, gradual or immediate? Why?
Do considering such questions, thoughts and issues help you to appreciate/see how difficult dramatic cultural/social change can really be?
Is this still relevant now with a black president?
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]