Write a well developed paragraph on the following:
5. Non-text option: Native Americans were not the only ethnic group that preceded white Americans in settling the West. Many Mexican Americans lost their land, their social standing, and economic opportunities, as well as their political power in the years following the War with Mexico. American newcomers viewed them as the outsiders and racial inferiors. As they did the Native Americans, Americans condemned Mexican Americans for not having “fully” exploited the land and its resources. Like the Native Americans, Mexican Americans resisted the Anglo-American invasion.
Read Juan Nepumuceno Cortina’s declaration against American injustice to his people in the Rio Grande Valley in 1859 (link on homepage Cortina #1). What tools does he accuse the Anglo community of using against his people to take their land? ALSO read link Cortina #2, in which we see two opposing viewpoints-that of the Anglo newspaper editor, and his views on Cortina and his followers, as well as an additional declaration by Cortina and why he leads a revolt against the Anglo community in Brownsville. What wrongs does Cortina accuse the Anglo community of committing against the Mexican American people ? What kind of person is Cortina, according to the Anglo editor? (source digitalhistory.uh.edu )
For the following chapters answer one of the following questions in a well-developed paragraph.
Note: I will be submitting the files that need to be read as soon as I get the book. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
1. What factors influenced the change from competition among American businesses to corporate consolidation? How did the theories of social Darwinism and the Gospel of Wealth encourage it? How did the Supreme Court affirm laissez-faire economics?
2. Why did the Republican Party divide into factions, and what did these factions represent? What was the spoils system, and what efforts did reformers make to clean up politics? What role did scandal play in the election of 1884?
3. Compare late the 19th century political scene with that of today. How did the scandals of the late 19th century compare with those of the late 20th and early 21st century? What role did “private morality” play in politics, then and today? What role should it play? Why was voter turnout so much higher then, and why do voters today seem so apathetic?
4. Read the primary sources on Rockefeller on p. 638-639 (3rd ed., p. 608-610). Critics claimed that Rockefeller and Standard Oil were a threat to democracy. What kinds of evidence do the authors present to support their case? Did they make their case convincingly? If not, what weaknesses do you see in their arguments?
5. Read a primary source from Ch. 18 (i.e., 18-1, 18-2, 18-3, 18-4, or 18-5) in Reading the American Past, (RAP). Answer 2 or more of the questions for discussion at the end of the selection.
1. Labor conditions and protest were a major theme in this chapter, while the rise of industry was a major theme of Ch. 18. What do you think should have been the primary concern of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad managers–to restore workers’ wages or to reward investors with greater dividends? Why? Would you have acted differently in their place?
2. What factors led to rapid urbanization during the late 19th century? How did native-born whites respond to the city’s proliferation of immigrants and African-Americans? Do you think there are any parallels with modern Americans’ views on immigration?
3. Why did workers in the late 19th century organize? What were the working conditions like, and how did management respond to labor’s demands? How did the Knights of Labor and the American Federation of Labor form, and what different strategies and philosophies did they embrace? Do you think modern Americans still deal with any of the issues 19th century workers faced?
4. Read one of the primary sources in Ch. 19 in RAP. Answer two or more of the questions for discussion at the end of the selection.
Use the order calculator below and get started! Contact our live support team for any assistance or inquiry.[order_calculator]